THE POWER OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Human Resources commonly referred to as the HR, can be described as the part of an organization that essentially keeps the organizational machinery running effectively.
HR is the people-centered department that caters to the needs of the employees and consequently encourages internal growth. The importance of HR is pretty straight forward – the department that runs the people gets to determine how the organization is run by the people.
And the evolution in the role of HR in the past few decades highlights the notion that people are indeed the most important resource in any organization. HR holds immense power. It invests in people and is a trusted resource.
Let’s look into how HR stewards its roles well and holds such power within an organization:
- Developing people strategy. HR determines how the policies regarding employees are implemented and executed. Everything from keeping track of employees schedule to the evaluation of their performance is in the hands of HR. HR also strategizes the attitude towards new recruits and therefore determines how new employees settle in. The HR people strategy affects how people feel towards their organization and determines the employees’ organizational commitment. The ideology behind HR strategy for people is to make them feel valued. The degree of trust that HR can inculcate amongst employees at all levels shows how well HR is performing its roles and hence how much power HR holds within the organization.
- Making a difference. When workers need to report bullying or negotiate any terms of their employment or need to discuss any particular challenges they are facing regarding work, HR is the trusted resource they go to. HR is not only a sounding board; HR comes up with real solutions for people. HR works as a third party, therefore, it has the unique advantage of looking at situations objectively and coming up with fair solutions. HR can make the differences that are directed towards the betterment of the people.
- Leadership development. An essential role of HR is the development of people-centered leadership. HR makes leaders by having employees practice leadership. HR can even step up to the role of leadership if needed. Being able to influence the leadership shows the vast powers that HR yields.
- Responding to challenges. It is the job of HR to respond swiftly and smoothly to immediate and long term challenges. HR can be imagined as the shock absorber for an organization. It also looks after the employees who are facing and coping with challenges, providing them constant support.
- Guiding towards the future. Since HR determines the changes made in an organization, can shape leadership, and is invested in people, it can act as the trend forecaster for an organization. The HR is constantly looking to the future
The above mentioned roles of HR are evidence of its power to steer an organization in any direction. An effectively working HR can take the organization towards a sustainable and consistently developing future path.