THE IMPACT OF SMART CITIES
The increasing use of and reliance on technology has changed our lives in many ways. One solid manifestation of technology having become an integral part of our lives is the smart cities – the cities of future. Smart cities use Internet of Things (IoT) sensors to collect large amounts of data from various interconnected sources to manage assets. This brings about an optimization of the efficiency of city operations and services.
Be it transportation, sanitation, security, schools, even crisis management, anything and everything in a smart city is monitored and managed with peak efficiency by using advanced technology. Barcelona, Amsterdam and Dubai stand as proof of the beneficial impacts of smart cities. Let’s look into the impacts of this smarter ecosystem of devices:
- Cost cuts. Automation of systems and services has decreased the need for human labor. Therefore, large amounts of money can be saved long term by having devices manage and regulate systems rather than humans putting in the effort.
- Increased efficiency. The increase in efficiency of operations is an obvious benefit reaped by installation of advanced technology. Work can be done faster and with much less chances of error.
- Connectivity. The IoT allows for all systems and people to be interconnected. Data from one end is fed into the other and a swift regulation can be brought about. Any change can be responded to very fast. The improved connectivity also cuts costs and any crisis can be averted efficiently.
- Big data attainment. Large amounts of data is brought in from all and any sources and accumulated to assess situations and respond to them. It can also provide futuristic forecasts and help societies to prepare for imminent situations.
- New jobs. Use of new technology driven devices means that there is more opportunities for new jobs. This boosts the economy of the city.
- Increased inflow of talent. Creation of new jobs and better quality of life attracts people to smart cities and this leads to acquisition of more and diverse talent. This can only be hugely beneficial for the community and take it to better heights of success and progress.
- Better sustainability. Smart cities are truly the cities of future. The efficient, fast-paced, least risky life where resources are not wasted allows for a sustainable future. These cities provide a three dimensional sustainability model, where economic, social and environmental factors are all addressed.
- Mitigation of risks. With machines controlling the systems and operations, there is less risk of errors. It also means that injuries and health risks to people are reduced.
- Improved quality of life. Taking all of the above factors into consideration, it is evidently clear that life in smart cities is comfortable, peaceful, efficient and productive.
Smart cities provide best quality options for people. They allow for future proofing. The impacts of smart cities are undeniably monumentally prosperous. It remains to be decided yet if governments should make increased efforts to raise their cities to the level of smart cities.